Sunday, January 2, 2011

It's a New Year - Back to the blog!

Happy New Year! If you’ve read my blog before, then welcome back and I apologize for the lack of posts over the last couple of months. Over the holidays updating the blog fell down to the lower part of my priority list right along with painting my toe nails (and I still haven’t had time to get to that). But I’m back with a renewed motivation for posting (and also a 4 hour car ride back to Atlanta). So I’m starting this year off with a couple of posts that are a little more personalized; more my thoughts and reflections than information sharing. If you are new to this blog (or need a refresher), then here’s a summary on what it’s about (or you can just read the first entry from 2010). The title of the blog says a lot, it’s about raising children with a back to basics philosophy: playing outside, getting dirty, using all of the body’s senses (not just the ones required for watching TV), cooking, helping with chores, making forts, having tea parties….. and all in the most authentic, organic sense, not in a virtual reality. This blog is for parents who have a vested interest in the type of quality experiences that their children have on a daily basis, knowing that these are formative years and what happens in childhood sets the tone for future skills, acquired intelligence, relationships, morals and values.

I do not claim to be an expert on anything; instead I am one of these parents who is holding fast to my cherished memories from my childhood spent playing in the woods and in tide pools, playing dolls and restaurant, riding bikes and making up games, and wanting so badly for my children to take pleasure in the same without whining for TV and video games instead. But I am also a professional in the field of child development and a former teacher, so it is important for me to make sure that not only are my children engaging in activities that enhance their development (not hinder it), but that I share the same beneficial knowledge of child development that I live and work by with the children and families I work with and other interested parents. This blog aims to help other parents balance the ever expanding selection of technology-based toys and entertainment with good, old fashioned creative play (no batteries or directions allowed) in order to provide our children with a well-rounded childhood that encourages the development of:
motor skills (for coordination, playing sports and instruments or basically just not ending up like Gumby)
cognitive skills (for learning to read, write, and acquiring the knowledge to succeed in school and oh, I don’t know, life I guess)
creative thinking skills (for, well let’s face it, being able to be an original person with original ideas, to problem solve, to create, to have an imagination, to be innovative, to “think outside the box” – a handy skill if one wants to excel at their chosen profession, no matter what the field)
social skills (for having successful and rewarding relationships with people – not computers or phones; for understanding social cues, problem solving, being able to feel empathy and sympathy, developing good character traits….the list goes on and cannot be taught by TV or the computer, but certainly can be negatively influenced by them)
language skills (for speaking, writing, and conversing without the use of abbreviations and acronyms – OMG lol)
and last, but not least attention span (for being able to keep one’s brain actively zoned into an activity long enough to complete it or get something out of it, oh like homework maybe)

However, in no way are these blog posts only limited to topics concerned with technology (or trying to avoid it). I’m interested in the bigger picture. Future posts will involve topics that relate to a variety of aspects of life that have an impact on child development and the development of the culture that we create called family (nutrition, teaching values, family traditions, etc).

The balancing act of blending modern culture with an old school philosophy is certainly a lifestyle choice that is far from all or nothing. My blog is meant to be a resource to help parents make some of these lifestyle choices that are right for their families; and in the process, hopefully finding an equilibrium they feel content with. I usually present research-based information in my posts that support this ideology of a back to basic approach to raising kids, offer some points for reflection, and end with ideas for ways to make it happen (ie. activities to do at home). I also try to use my life experiences to show the reality of this as I am in the throes of working parenthood with two toddlers, two dogs, and a husband all buckled in for this interesting ride (sorry for the car metaphor, but it’s what came to mind as I’m still in one, only about half way home now).
I appreciate comments because I like to learn from other parents too (and I don’t like being the only one doing all the talking), but if you’re just reading these posts, taking from them what you like and using that to help you, then I have done my job.

That’s about it. If you enjoy what I have to say, please share my blog with others!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I was just checking out your blog. It is funny that we never really talked about this stuff, but I am totally on-board. That is probably why we connected so well with you/therapy. I am looking forward to reading more!
    Laura Clark

    ReplyDelete

A Life Changing Revelation Leads Back to a Simpler Life and the Re-Launch of the Blog

Hello parents and friends!  It is time for a re-launching of this blog and I am thrilled to be back writing.  It has been about 6 years sinc...